This event is Formal/Semi-Formal Cosplay-Optional. What that means is that this is a classy event where tuxedos, suits, evening gowns, and fancy dress are encouraged as well as formal cosplay.
- Pants: Any type of formal dress pant is allowed.
- Tops: A formal blouse, dress shirt, or any other kind of formal top. Can be accompanied by one or a combination of the following: a formal jacket or blazer, any formal neck wear (i.e. ties, bowties, etc), and a vest or cummerbund.
- Dresses/Skirts: Dresses or skirts should be an evening gown or cocktail dress, mid-thigh length or longer. Skirts/dresses cannot be higher than the fingertips of hands at the side. Similarly, dress slits cannot be above the hands.
- Formal kimonos and other formal Asian wear are allowed and encouraged.
- Costumes: All costumes that follow the above guidelines will be permitted. No large props will be permitted, all props allowed in the event must be secured to your costume.
- Uniforms: Military dress uniforms or a school uniform that fits into the above categories.
- Shoes: Dress shoes, pumps, sandals, flats, dress boots, or any other formal shoe wear.
- Casual clothes; including but not limited to t-shirts, sneakers, jeans/denim, etc.
- Large props.
- Long dress trains.
- Unsecured hats – all hats must be removed on the dance floor.
- No bare feet. Not only do bare feet tend to get stepped on, but shoes do occasionally disappear. MechaCon is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged personal items, including footwear.
The event hosts have final say on what stays and what goes. Please be aware that they are merely performing their duties as instructed and they may not be aware of nor informed in the formal attire shown in every anime.
Please remember that this is a FORMAL/SEMI-FORMAL Cosplay-optional event. The “regular, everyday” cosplay outfit will not be allowed. For example: Master Roshi in his beach shirt, shoes and sandals would not be allowed; however, the dress suit he wore to go to town would be. The outfit must be considered formal according to the above guidelines.